The non-profit Baptist History and Heritage Society is the leading scholarly organization for Baptist historians in America. We integrate scholarship into top notch congregational resources in the form of publications, printed and digital resources, conferences, seminars, dialogue and special events. The Society represents Baptists around the world and is funded by membership dues, the generosity of donors, and grants. Join or renew your membership today.
THE VOTING RIGHTS ACT AT 50
Lyndon Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act on August 6, 1965. Front and center at the signing ceremony was Baptist minister and Civil Rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.
Fifty years later, several news stories and commentary offer historical perspective on the legislation that transformed race and politics in America:
The Voting Rights Act at 50: How the Law Came to Be (Maya Rhodan, TIME)
The Voting Rights Act and the Second Redemption (Kermit Roosevelt, Constitution Daily)
Why the Voting Rights Act Matters So Much Today (Stephen Henderson, Detroit Free Press)
This is Why the Voting Rights Act is on Trial in North Carolina (Richard L. Hasen, Washington Post)
Why the Voting Rights Act is Once Again Under Threat (Ari Berman, New York Times)
A Dream Undone (Jim Rutenberg, New York Times Magazine)
BAPTISTS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE:
The 2015 national BH&HS conference focused on the theme of Baptists and Social Justice. View the conference program, read news stories about the conference, and listen to audio recordings.
- BH&HS partner CBF North Carolina is sponsoring a “Baptist Ideals Tour” August 23-26, in Williamsburg, Virginia. More information.
- Baptist Voices on Religious Liberty: Left, Right and Center. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, September 29, 2015. Featuring William Brackney, Mike Edens, Gregory Komendant, Kenneth McDowell, Russell Moore, Suzii Paynter, J. Brent Walker.
- Join historians Bruce Gourley and Bobby Lovett in Chattanooga, Tennessee, October 22-23 for a conversation about the “Civil War @ 150“.
- Join BH&H members Jerry Faught, Bruce Gourley, Jerry Hopkins, Mike Williams and many other writers for the 2015 East Texas Christian Writers Conference on October 30-31, East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas.
- Contact executive director Bruce Gourley about speaking at your Baptist-related event.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SOCIETY
To learn more about the Society, use the links below: