The non-profit Baptist History and Heritage Society is the leading scholarly organization for Baptist historians in America. We integrate scholarship into top notch congregational resources in the form of publications, printed and digital resources, conferences, seminars, dialogue and special events. The Society represents Baptists around the world and is funded by membership dues, the generosity of donors, and grants.
REMEMBERING JAMES DUNN, RELIGIOUS LIBERTY ADVOCATE:
James M. Dunn, formerly executive director of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, died July 4, 2015 at the age of 83. Dunn was an uncompromising advocate of religious liberty and church state separation in similar fashion to earlier Baptist leaders and heroes Roger Williams, John Clarke, Isaac Backus, John Leland and George Truett. A friend to traditional Baptists everywhere, Dunn championed the best of Baptist ideas, principles and convictions. For more information:
James M. Dunn: 1932-2015 (Baptist Joint Committee)
James Dunn: Robust Advocate for Religious Liberty, Dies July 4 (Baptist News Global)
Remembering James Dunn (John Pierce, Baptists Today)
To Countless Baptists, James Dunn Was an Instrumental Influence (Aaron Weaver, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship)
Remembering James Dunn: Baptist Champion of Religious Freedom (Rob Boston, Americans United)
BAPTISTS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE:
The 2015 national BH&HS conference focused on the theme of Baptists and Social Justice. View the conference program, read news stories about the conference, and listen to audio recordings.
- Join host Bruce Gourley and guest speaker Ken Mottram for a faith and adventure-filled BH&HS co-sponsored Nurturing Faith Experience in West Glacier, Montana. July 18-23.
- BH&HS partner CBF North Carolina is sponsoring a “Baptist Ideals Tour” August 23-26, in Williamsburg, Virginia. More information.
- Join historians Bruce Gourley and Bobby Lovett in Chattanooga, Tennessee, October 22-23 for a conversation about the “Civil War @ 150“.
- Join BH&H members Jerry Faught, Bruce Gourley, Jerry Hopkins, Mike Williams and many other writers for the 2015 East Texas Christian Writers Conference on October 30-31, East Texas Baptist University, Marshall, Texas.
- Contact executive director Bruce Gourley about speaking at your Baptist-related event.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SOCIETY
To learn more about the Society, use the links below: